Monday, August 4, 2008

I finished my first sweater and knit a bottle cozy

True - it was for a 1 year old - and I'm not sure I seamed the arms right, but it looks nice and Mom looked truly pleased.

It took me 12 days, which isn't too bad considering how many other things I was working on during that time, including a several day hiatus while I was camping.

I followed the baby sweater pattern in The Knitters Book of Yarn - and I wouldn't have considered it if someone hadn't told me that the yardage estimations were off. It took just under the two skeins I bought, and so now I can hopefully make a hat or scarf for the Little Guy with the third. The Comfy yarn was a bit drapey, but I think it will be just fine.

In other knitting news...

I was agonizing over what to make my brother for his birthday. A peek in How to Knit in the Woods suggested a nalgene bottle cozy. I'm pretty sure he has a nalgene bottle, and I was also pretty sure that he wasn't so keen on using it because of the plastic hype, so I started looking for a steel or aluminum bottle.

The ones at the local box store were all insulated - which meant they held about 2 sips of beverage. A friend suggested a Sigg bottle and though they are on the pricey side for a water bottle, I think it's an appropriate gift.

So, I cast one, and didn't have enough stitches, and cast on again - still not enough. Finally I was there, and then it took off.

It has ribbing to make holding onto it easier and an i-cord to hold it in place in the cozy. I hope he likes it.

No comments: